The Magazine of Ethiopian Airlines
Feature

Geneva Meets Addis

Exploring the visual links between the two global
political hubs.

Though only recently joined by the first-ever direct flight between the cities, Geneva and Addis Ababa have nonetheless long shared powerful connections of a diplomatic nature. This photo series by Swiss photographer Philipp Schütz, now living in Ethiopia, explores the visual links between the two global political hubs.


Left: Geneva Airport, Switzerland, built in 1919. Right: Addis Ababa Bole International Airport, Ethiopia, built in 1960. Both airports service tens of millions of passengers every year.


Left: Tedros Adhanom, director general of the World Health Organization. Right: Haile Menkerios, head of the UN Office to the African Union.


Left: St. Pierre Cathedral, Geneva, started around 1160 and finished in the 13th century. Right: Holy Trinity Cathedral, Addis Ababa, constructed between 1931 and 1943.


Left: Africa Hall, permanent headquarters of the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (constructed in 1961). Right: Conference on Disarmament in the Council Chamber, housed in the Palace of Nations, Geneva, Switzerland (completed in 1932).


Left: Vera Songwe, executive secretary of the UN Economic Commission for Africa. Right: Ahunna Eziakonwa-Onochie, UN resident and humanitarian coordinator. 


Left: Palace of Nations, Geneva — constructed between 1929 and 1938 — serves as the home of the United Nations Office at Geneva and was originally built to serve the League of Nations, formed after the First World War. Right: African Union, Addis Ababa — constructed between 2009 and 2012 — serves as the headquarters of the African Union.